12.15.2008

No calendars, please

Earlier this year I wrote about how hard it was to find interesting, stylish, high-quality calendars year after year. Well, I wanted to warn you against showering me in calendar gifts this Christmas, because I found enough to tide me over for a few more years, at least.

Most exiting is the discovery that illustrator Steve Thomas, whose retrofuturistic space travel posters I showed off a while ago, offers a calendar of his shiny space art. I will have one for my wall.







For graphic inspiration, I adore the bold, bright prints in this Paper Source Art Calendar.






Etsy of course has loads of beautiful and unique art calendars, particularly of the postcard desktop variety. I like this charming Jardin Desk Calendar by MagnoliaMoonlight.






And this Objectification II Postcard Desk Calendar by SureAsBlue.






And this Screen Printed Botanical Calendar by annacote.






And this Animals of the Land, Sky, and Sea Desk Calendar by InkDropDesign.






And this Helvetica Typography Calendar by ovendoorowl.






And this Letterpressed and Silkscreened Calendar by ilee.






And this TTV Desk Calendar by ebonypaws.






And this Polaroid Calendar by AliciaBlock.






I'm in love with the stationary company Cavallini & Co., particularly their calendar offerings. They have great vintage art themes like travel, maps, plants, and animals.







I also made a few finds in photography calendars of abandoned places. In the slightly surreal category, there's the beautiful Retrospect Calendar by farhmboy, who explores out-of-the-way locales in his native Michigan.







In more moody ruins, there's the uplifting Abandoned Places Calendar by Richard Rizzo.







Then there's the beautifully photographed tribute to that ever-photogenic ruin, the Eastern State Penitentiary Calendar by 13 Black Cats Designs.







So please...no calendars! Unless you've found some great ones, too.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Sage Ravenwood:

What a visual delight! There are quite a few of these I would love myself. (Hugs)Indigo

17:59  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Well, I don't know if those calendars will last you for years, but hopefully for all of 09. ;)

You found some really exquisite work. Thanks so much for sharing!

12:34  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Let's hope at least SOME of these calendars are still being made in 2010 -- else I'm back to square one!

Glad you enjoyed.

20:25  
Anonymous Anonymous:

It's my endeavour to buy a calendar with a different theme every year, for as many years as I can. Right now this is easy, because I only started my collection in 2006, but it might become more challenging in another decade or so. You can see the current extent of my collection here and here.

(BTW, I came across your blog via a comment you left in Bioephemera, and I've just had a little look around...)

05:11  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Outerhoard: Good luck with the calendars. It gets tough, but sometimes you get a breakthrough, like I had this year.

(Thanks for mentioning how you found me, by the way -- all the stat analyzers in the world can't compare to a visitor just coming out and saying what door they popped in through! Glad you decided to visit.)

13:23  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I first came across the wyvern in a poem by Charles Connell, way back in my childhood. I'm quite sure you've never been outwitted, but apart from that I wonder whether you would identify with the following description:

All my research has shown
Very little is known
Of the Wyvern and where it inhabits;
One informant insists
That the creature exists
Upon rhubarb, rice pudding and rabbits.

Of incredible size
Like a dragon that flies
With a wingspan of twenty-five feet,
The Wyvern is not
Any problem to pot
And when roasted is pleasant to eat.

Its long-taloned claws
And its slavering jaws
Are features entirely distinct.
Big game hunters who chase it
Can outwit and outpace it
And maybe that's why it's extinct.

02:30  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

That's great! I haven't heard that before.

I do like rhubarb, rice pudding, and rabbit, but I'm not too sure about the rest.

Thanks for sharing that. :)

11:30  
Anonymous Anonymous:

It's from a book of doggerel about mythological beasts (plus a few dinosaurs) published in 1978, and titled "Please Ptell Me, Pterodactyl". It was never a well-known book and I expect that nowadays it would be extremely rare. Our copy fell to pieces some years ago, but I kept digital copies of about half a dozen of my favourite poems from it, including the Wyvern.

I do understand your reluctance to admit to being pleasant to eat, particularly in front of a flesh-eating dragon. Of course, the fact that I'm in Australia gives you a measure of protection.

12:16  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Thanks for the feature!

Haven't seen your name in a while. Wow.

- Fahrmboy.

08:47  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Fahrmy: I know, right? Small Internet.

Love your work.

12:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home