9.22.2007

La rentrée

[CURRICULUM]

Since it's time for back-to-school, even though I'm not going at the moment, I devised this imaginary curriculum for myself. It's a list of courses of the most practical sort -- not the usual esoteric, liberal-arts stuff I might take for the fun of it, but a kick-ass program in real-life skills I've decided I'm sorely lacking.

Just for kicks, let's make this a meme, with rules and tagging and all that. (My first!)

Rules: Devise a list of 5-10 courses you would take to fix your life. It's more fun to be in classes with friends, so include one class from the person who tagged you that you'd also like to take. Tag five.

So, here's my schedule:

Logic for Life
Thorough groundwork in formal logic, critical thinking, decision-making, and debate. Emphasizes everyday applications.

Dance 001: Posture, Poise, Personality
Body posture, behavior, and movement techniques for health, comfort, and grace. Reduce stress and fatigue by building core strength and learn how to carry yourself to project confidence and be at ease in the world.

Dance 102: Social Dance for Non-Dancers
A primer in basic moves for a number of popular and iconic dance styles. You will also work towards developing your own personal, portable freestyle. Comfortably own the dance floor at any social venue. Prerequisite: Posture, Poise, Personality.

Everyday Spanish for Comprehension and Communication
With a focus on reading comprehension and verbal communication, this course enables English speakers to easily interact with a Hispanic environment.

Intensive Arabic for Highly-Paid, In-Demand Government Translation Work
Take advantage of the national need for skilled Arabic speakers and translators, and quickly master the language in this intensive course.

Consumer Skills 202: Basic Bargaining and Consumer Rights
Become comfortable haggling and striking bargains, learn how to recognize and overcome unfair business practices, maximize your consuming power, and stay in control of any transaction to save stress, time, and money.

World Geography
At the end of the course, students will have a high level of familiarity with every part of the planet.

World History 1000 B.C. to Present
Everything you need to know about everything that ever happened. Dates, places, people, reigns, wars, events, cultures, ideas, movements, and eras.

Small Talk Workshop: Advanced Techniques and Topics for Social Mastery
This practical course focuses primarily on in-class practice sessions guided by the instructor. Learn how to keep a conversation flowing seamlessly, ways to move beyond the weather, dealing with unpleasant people, social conventions, appropriate formulas for a variety of situations (polite refusal, soliciting favors, disengagement, etc.), networking, and more.

That should be a pretty full schedule. Now for my tags: LadySusan, Maktaaq, Lynn, Princess Haiku, and...well, darn, I'm out. I actually don't know too many bloggers of the sort that like to do memes, so I guess my fifth is a lame "anybody who wants to!"

Okay, now hit the books.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq:

How fun! I've completed mine.

01:47  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

I can't believe I forgot to include one of my most important classes: Culture 101: Popular Culture and General Knowledge. Charm, impress and shine at cocktail and dinner parties and on televised game shows with your stunning breadth of knowledge about music, film and television icons, kitsch and nostalgia, cultural movements and phenomena, artists, writers, and composers, presidents, kings, and popes, sporting events, and all those other things that people generally seem to be knowledgeable about.

Anyway, I am pleased to see that my little memelet is off to a great start and doing so well. :)

18:00  
Blogger Maktaaq:

That's another good one!

Two people have published theirs, I'll put in an update. I love reading the answers!

(My Matt is still busy writing his courses.)

01:48  
Blogger Julie R:

oh i just found you and your blog is wonderful and filled with treasure! and i'm so glad you invited anyone who wanted to join your meme. i'm going to get right to work!

22:23  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

How I love receiving comments like that. :) I'm very glad my meme inspired you, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I love your blog, btw...it's going right on the blogroll!

23:00  
Blogger Diane Dehler:

Hi blue,
This is a great meme and I'm going to do it soon. Just posted some new chrysanthemum photos. How these rare flowers do hypnotize with their beauty.

02:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home