9.12.2005

Linlithgo -->

This is the mysterious, strangely alluring sign I routinely pass while driving north on Route 9. I have never heard this place spoken of, nor spotted it on any map -- my only knowledge of it comes from this single green and white sign which is posted at the terminal end of a lonely-looking road winding away from the crest of a particularly steep hill along Route 9, midway between Tivoli and the Rip Van Winkle Bridge.

I have wondered, idly, about Linlithgo. To me, the name evokes some imaginary place out of an extravagant sixteenth-century flight-of-fantasy -- a utopian city-state, a fabled land of youth or gold, a quaint, savage island somewhere beyond the setting sun, a paradisical, prelapsarian garden of singing birds, ripe fruit, and careless nudity, a whimsical, upside-down country populated by midgets or giants or dog-headed men.




What reminded me of this was an excellent article in the latest issue of Strange Horizons, "The Ten Stupidest Utopias!" More in-depth and profound than the title suggests, the article discusses and critiques a number of important classic utopias, from More's foundational text to Plato's Republic, the cyberspace of William Gibson's Neuromancer, and Charlotte Perkins Gillman's peculiarly Amazonian Herland.
Via Bookslut.

And as I recently mentioned, there is some great stuff, particularly the loads of beautiful images (such as the above), in the Utopia expo (French version) at the BnF.

Linlithgo...

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess Haskins:

It has just occurred to me that if the sign is pointing to the right as I am driving north, Linlithgo cannot possibly be a land of the setting sun. Well, there's one possibility eliminated.

11:52  
Blogger Unknown:

How very karmaish of you to mention this interesting lovely name of a place with accompanying lovely artwork. I too recently have become enamoured with the name of a place... Aquilea. It sounded so musical and lovely I just didn't know what to do with this new knowledge. I looked it up and with that search came a lovely image of Attila the Hun sacking Aquilea (in ancient Rome). Try google image search and see. IT's a middleages masterpiece!

16:07  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Wow...thank you for all the info! This post seems to have struck a chord with people, much more than I expected.

Thank you for your kind words. I am very glad you enjoy your visits here.

13:27  
Blogger J.L.:

There is actually a place called Linlithgow in Scotland - It's a small town near where I'm from. Unfortunately, it's not really that spectacular, although I haven't been there in some time.

Great Blog!

02:39  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Hi, j.l. -- thanks for visiting (and for linking)!

Linlithgow, Scotland, may not be spectacular...but I'm sure that Linlithgo, Enchanted Land Beyond the Dawning Sun, must be something special.

;)

23:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home