As a purveyor of minigames and pretty pictures, I think I'm more likely to make you go "Ooh" and "Ahh" than "Hmm", but I am flattered all the same, and I can certainly think of five more worthy honorees to pass it along to. So here, then, are the Five Blogs that Make Me Think.
1. Dream Tree. A thoughtful and poetic blog about fantastic, dreamlike art -- my kind of aesthetic -- and other ephemera. Regular features include a Science News roundup, and the exquisite Wunderkammer series of articles showcasing the origins and history of rare and unusual objects and artifacts.
2. Damn Interesting. Mini history lessons and briefings on strange, surprising, little-known events and phenomena from times past. Perfectly titled.
3. The Huge Entity. Essays and meditations on philosophy, consciousness, history, technology, religion, and other "excruciatingly large things". Wide-ranging and far-reaching.
4. Next Nature. A link blog highlighting trends, products, projects, research, discoveries, and arts that challenge and redefine the boundaries between human and nature.
5. Apothecary's Drawer. An eclectic blog exploring diverse topics in arts, science, and culture, with brief, link-riddled posts that manage to be both fascinating and informative.
I don't expect all of the above to participate, but if you recipients do wish to acknowledge the award and nominate others, here are the rules as given by the originator:
1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.
3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award'.
Most of these honorees are culled from the "Science, Tech, Humanities, Culture" group in my blogroll, which is where I keep most of the Heavy Thinkers, and to which I direct you if you would like to discover more delightful blogs in this vein.
Now, back to the pretty pictures.