3.25.2007

Art books

Su Blackwell does exquisite book-cut artwork, crafting woods of words, making a tea party spring from the pages of Alice, growing gardens of paper flowers, and other such magical transmutations.
Via Highlight of my day.






Thomas Allen does similar work, using pulp-fiction covers in place of the pages of children's tales. The excellent limited-focus photography gives these layered paper scenes a striking three-dimensional quality. (Be sure to click the arrows at the bottom to see the rest of the thumbnails.)







Daniel Essig does sculptural books, book sculptures, and intricate, Ethiopian-style Coptic bookbinding. Incorporating bones, shells, and fossils as well as awls, rusted nails, chains, and Gothic architectural elements, his work shares the aesthetics of a cathedral library and a cabinet of wonders.
Via The Endicott Studio.






Georgia Russell is a Scottish artist who shreds books meticulously with a scalpel, enhancing their meaning by giving them a new form. She also has other scalpel-cut works besides her books, like carved maps and portraits.
Via Highlight of my day.





Tara Bryan creates art books in unusual materials, bindings, and formats, with flaps, folds, tabs, ties, accordions, and other whimsical architecture. I especially like the drop-down "Down the Rabbit Hole", which progresses through a series of tunnels as you read.
Via hydrocephalicbunny.





Zybooks is a nice website devoted to artist books, with event listings, ongoing projects, and mail art in addition to galleries of excellent works. Here's a sample of the artists featured there:



Nicola Dale


Leah Oates


Steve McPherson

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red:

Great entry - great blog, actually. I really love your stuff, I may have to steal some of it...

08:58  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Thank you! Feel free, it's all to share.

09:25  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Great site. Su Blackwell's exquisite books took sixty years off my life!

12:30  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

alice: You had me concerned -- for a moment I was afraid you meant it had aged you by 60 years! I hope it's the opposite, and yes -- her work really is marvellous.

15:17  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Just when I thought it was impossible to find art-books, you produce the perfect post! Lovely.

20:06  
Blogger Miss F:

thanks for sharing these, bluewyvern... your blog never ceases to delight and amaze me....

04:40  
Blogger Diane Dehler:

Great post, original, aesthetically pleasing. I love tea also and have a post on a great new tea cafe in Berkeley. You might find it interesting. Just ordered up some new oolong too and wish I could share a cup with my favorite bloggers.

02:46  
Anonymous Anonymous:

a visually stimulating post; a blog with a rare aesthetic; beautiful and captivating ...

and I echo the thievery comment as I have been known to be somewhat light fingered myself ...

self-avowed student of fine poetry, fine papers and fine books....

01:17  
Blogger Diane Dehler:

Thank you for introducing me to artistic books; very interesting.

02:22  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I really like the James Dean looking one.

01:53  
Blogger adam:

what a great quality post... :)

11:23  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I wish if i can share my art reserch portal and painting website with you.

Mira

12:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home