6.14.2006

Urban climbing

Check out this amazing video of a couple of Russian kids who can climb, scale, leap, roll, and move like nobody's business. They literally jump from rooftop to rooftop in this incredible series of stunts as they navigate the urban landscape with seeming ease.





Reminds me of House Gymnastics, an indoor version of a similar, though much lower-key, sort of climbing acrobatics. A couple of guys perform what they describe as a blend of "yoga, breakdancing, climbing and gymnastics", and photograph the poses. It's participatory, with difficulty ratings, step-by-step instructions, and a community forum, but it looks like prime Do Not Try This At Home material to me. Well, maybe some of the easier stuff is pretty safe.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

We discussed parkour in one of my classes last semester as an alternative practice of space. I can't believe there are enough insane and physically fit people for a whole movement, but I guess there are a lot of people in the world.
I loved when that one kid totally showed up that dog.

18:35  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

I had heard of the film based on a new urban climbing style, but I'd forgotten the name of the art -- I thought this was similar, but didn't know it was the same thing.

It's pretty cool.

19:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home