6.09.2006

How to talk right

I came across this great little resource at PBS recently: Beastly Mispronunciations, 100 excerpts from The Big Book Of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide For The Careful Speaker by Charles Harrington Elster, which sets the record straight on the beastly and acceptable pronunciations of common words. Loads of these were questions that had been plaguing me for a long time (Alumnae, Chamois, Machination, Niche, Often, Route, Yarmulke), and with the firm, well-supported cases made for the author's favored pronunciations, I can now consider the matter settled.

Via Bits & Pieces.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

Neat. I still refuse to pronounce "medieval" correctly, though. My job is hard enough without having to say "ee" twice in a row ten times a day.

10:34  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Wait -- that's not how you pronounce it?

What do you say?

22:52  
Blogger mernitman:

...of course the wonderful thing about using tricky words in blog posts is that your readers are the ones stuck trying to pronounce them correctly, whether YOU know how to, or not...

Just wanted to thank you for adding me to your roll. I am honored! And have followed suit, on mine.

18:00  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

Why, thank you! lways glad to swap links. And I love your blog -- only the best for my blogroll. :)

20:51  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I think it more or less comes out as m'dee-v'l, or med-ee-vul if I'm being more careful.

12:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home