7.11.2005

Varia

I've just finally caught up on the archives of my latest obsession, 8-bit Theater, a sprite webcomic based on Final Fantasy I. Tonight I finally made it through all 574 back episodes. Enough nostalgia was also stirred in me to prompt me to download a rom of the original NES game, which I started playing tonight. I've had vague urges to play it again for some time. I do still have the game and my Nintendo system somewhere, sealed up in a box in the back of a storage unit where I can't get it, but I don't know why it never occurred to me to download the rom before.

For years I loved Final Fantasy, without even knowing it was part of a series. When I saw ads for FF7, I was blown away. And also a little confused. How had my beloved childhood swords-and-sorcery epic turned into a futuristic techno-world? Time passes, I guess.




And now a series of links with no thematic relevance...

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article about the latest trends in controversial young adult literature. There's Rainbow Party, the book about a teen oral-sex party that's sparked plenty of debate, but that's just the beginning.




Deadprogrammer's Cafe tells the story of How the Starbucks Siren Became Less Naughty.




I've just discovered an entertaining and informative blog called Fascinating History, which is quickly becoming one of my favorites. A recent entry discusses Elizabethan Food.

A columnist at the Globe and Mail vents his frustration with the relentless verbing of nouns.

Google just released Google Earth, the amazing satellite-imagery software that used to be Keyhole. Unlike the subscription-only Keyhole, Google Earth is all free. You can spend hours just exploring the planet in high-resolution photographs (not everywhere, of course...but just give it a couple years and it'll be really amazing). Some places, like the Grand Canyon, also have 3-D elevation. There's a lot you can do with this thing.




What is EPIC? A video from the Museum of Media History in the year 2014 presents a sobering and thought-provoking future history of the media. See where we're headed.


reading: haven't finished anything yet, still plodding along on Fast Food Nation
saw: Three Kings; 30 Days; Donnie Darko; Matrix: Revolutions; The Office (American); Undeclared
playing: Final Fantasy I

music: the Shade: Wrath of Angels soundtrack, very nice music to a game I've never heard of but found free to download the other day
beverage: Twinings Prince of Wales tea

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

You know, it really bothers me that I find the cover of Rainbow Party so attractive.

Ladysusan

01:43  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

You would.

:p

12:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home