6.01.2005

Grab bag

I was going to tell you about a spectacularly fascinating dream I had yesterday, but I may have lost too much of it since to be able to retell it coherently. It was great, though.

So instead, I'm going to empty out my links folder and post some random stuff.

These two articles challenge prescriptive grammar, reassuring us that it's all right (and preferred) to use "data" as singular and end sentences with prepositions -- because English isn't Latin. While I want to agree with them, I still find myself having trouble letting go.

The essay portion of the new SAT rewards kids for length, even if the writing is poor, sloppy, and even factually inaccurate.

Research suggests that women are far more susceptible to the effects of alcohol than men, but that feminism prevents this fact from being widely admitted, leading to increased alcoholism among women.

This BBC quiz that measures types of intelligence and tests What Kind of Thinker Are You? doesn't have any code you can cut and paste at the end (gasp!), so I'll give you the link to it, tell you that I scored as an Existential Thinker, and invite you to take it yourself and then read all the results.

This quiz also said I was quite existentialist, interestingly.


You scored as Modernist. Modernism represents the thought that science and reason are all we need to carry on. Religion is unnecessary and any sort of spirituality halts progress. You believe everything has a rational explanation. 50% of Americans share your world-view.

Modernist

94%

Existentialist

94%

Materialist

88%

Postmodernist

63%

Romanticist

38%

Cultural Creative

38%

Idealist

19%

Fundamentalist

19%

What is Your World View? (updated)
created with QuizFarm.com





reading: Charles de Lint, The Newford Stories; Ben Bradlee, A Good Life (K's pick)
saw: Die Hard; Die Hard 2; Die Hard 3; Shattered Glass; Enterprise; Law & Order; Red vs. Blue; Rocky
game of the day: Fly Guy, a delightful bit of pixel-art fun.

music: my "Oddtunes" mix, curr. necros - mystery mix
beverage: Twinings English Breakfast tea

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home