5.23.2005

This is it.

Blurty is dead. Long live Blue Tea.

I've discontinued my Blurty in favor of this thing that you are currently reading. I think it's the right choice.

It's time for changes, I suppose. Last Saturday was my graduation from Bard College; I now officially no longer have to check the "some college" box while filling out forms. I am now a respected citizen of society, a holder of a college degree. My diploma is in Latin and everything.

Yesterday was when the majority of people in the world that I know and care about packed their belongings into little cars and left. Fortunately a small handful of our friends are underclassmen, meaning both that I get to enjoy their company in the coming year, and that the other alums will return to visit them from time to time. But any future encounters with these dear friends of mine are likely to be only fleeting. I am quite saddened.

Today was the first quiet day that I've had to myself in some time. I slept in, and have spent most of the day playing games and reading. Soon I need to work on finding a permanent job, but I need a little time to rest. I have a little time to get things in order before June 10th, when K and I and two other friends will embark on a three-week-long cross-country road trip, something that I've always wanted to do. With luck, I can have some prospects for work lined up for when I return. And then it will be time to work my ass off to pay for the trip.

But enough about plans. As usual, it's much more fun for me to share cool things than talk about my life.

Today I tackled an interesting-looking game that's been in my links list for a long time, but which I'd never gotten around to. It's Die Anstalt: Psychiatrie für misshandelte Kuscheltiere (The Asylum: Psychiatry for Abused Cuddly Toys), a cleverly animated cartoon game in which you play psychiatrist and use a variety of clinical therapies and techniques such as dream analysis and play therapy in an attempt to diagnose and cure the maladies of your patients, a collection of unfortunate plush toys. The game is quite engaging and ingenious. In German, English, and Italian.

I also came across an interesting article in the LA Times about a talk Marjane Satrapi gave at West Point, where Persepolis is required reading. (Latimes.com requires registration; you can use www.bugmenot.com to acquire a login without registering.)


reading: Kazuko Okakura, The Book of Tea; David Sedaris, Barrel Fever
saw: Five Minutes and a Deck of Cards (senior project by a brilliant filmmaker friend of mine, featuring two three-second shots of me in the distance); Black Hawk Down; Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith (Midnight showing on opening day!); Proof of Life

music: the Katamari Damacy soundtrack (track: "The Moon and the Prince")
beverage: gunpowder green tea

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Maktaaq:

Persepolis is required reading?!

I created a history and comics program for our museum but no takers yet.

11:30  
Blogger Jess Haskins:

You work at a museum? What is it?

I got my own copy of Persepolis from the school bookstore, where it was one of the texts for some class -- a poli sci class, I think. My friend and I were eyeing them for some time, and finally bought them near mid-semester when they were about to send unsold books back. (We didn't want to deprive someone in the class of their text!) I haven't read mine yet, but it's next on my list.

12:48  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Hello! Super work performed. Top PAGE, further so!

14:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home